Committed to helping you heal while we recover.

Understanding Washington Car Accident Collision Reports

On Behalf of | Sep 27, 2012 | Car Accidents

By Pendergast Law on September 27, 2012

When you’re involved in a Washington car crash, the collision report can be a key part of documenting what happened and explaining it to insurance adjusters, investigators, and even in court. The Department of Licensing provides some keys to understanding Washington car accident collision reports:

  • Do I have to report a collision? A police officer will fill out a collision report if he or she investigates the accident, so you don’t have to file an additional report. If no police officer investigates the collision, the people involved in the crash must file a report within four days of the accident. Your local police, county sheriff, or Washington State Patrol all have collision report forms available.
  • What collision information goes on my driving record? If a Washington car crash causes injury or $700 in damage to property, the state places some collision information on your driving record. This information includes the date of the collision, how many vehicles were involved, and whether anyone was in them, whether they were moving or parked, and whether anyone was injured or killed.
  • How do I see my collision report or collision information on my driving record? To see your collision report, contact the Washington State Patrol. To see collision information on your driving record, contact the Department of Licensing’s Accident Processing Unit.

At Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S., our dedicated Seattle car accident lawyers are here to help you understand your legal rights after a car crash and get the compensation you need. For a free, confidential consultation, call us today at 888-539-9211.