Committed to helping you heal while we recover.

Port Orchard Woman Killed by Hit-and-Run Driver

On Behalf of | Nov 20, 2015 | Hit-and-Run Accident

By Pendergast Law on November 20, 2015

A 64-year-old grandmother walking in front of her home was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver. The fatal car accident happened along Victory Drive Southwest in Port Orchard. She was found unconscious on the ground and pronounced dead the next day at Harborview Medical Center. 

It’s against the law to leave the scene of an accident in Washington if someone has been injured or killed. According to Washington Statute RCW 46.52.020:

“A driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in the injury to or death of any person or involving striking the body of a deceased person shall immediately stop such vehicle at the scene of such accident.”

Hit-and-run drivers can face serious criminal charges if they’re caught. In addition to possible jail time and heavy fines, hit-and-run driver can also face liability for the damages they caused from the victim or the victim’s family. For example, the family of someone killed in a hit-and-run accident can pursue compensation by filing a wrongful death claim.

A successful wrongful death claim against a driver can result in compensation for:

  • Medical bills
  • Funeral expenses
  • Lost future income
  • Pain and suffering

But, not all hit-and-run drivers get arrested. So, families are often left wondering how they can pursue justice.

In such cases, support may be available through the victim’s own insurance policy. Uninsured motorist coverage is for accidents involving drivers who have little to no insurance, but it also covers hit-and-run accidents. It’s a mistake to assume that the victim’s insurance company will provide fair compensation just because premiums were being paid.

A Seattle wrongful death attorney is often needed to secure fair compensation from the at-fault driver or from insurance companies that like to play hardball. If you have lost a loved one in a crash, don’t hesitate to look into your legal rights and options.

Contact Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S. to discuss your situation. You can reach us at 888-539-9211.