Committed to helping you heal while we recover.

Compassionate Representation After A Tragic Loss

Nothing is more tragic than losing a loved one, but that loss can also be compounded if you also have to deal with leftover medical bills, a sudden drop in household income, and emotional turmoil. While it is not possible to bring your loved one back, if they died because of another person’s negligent actions, you may be able to pursue compensation for your financial and personal losses.

Wrongful death suits allow family members and loved ones to seek civil action against the party who took the life of the deceased. If you lost a loved one due to negligence, please reach out to the Renton wrongful death attorneys at Pendergast Law. Our compassionate legal team can provide thorough legal advice about how to move forward with a claim and advocate for proper compensation for your loss. Call us toll-free at 888-539-9211 to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.

Washington Wrongful Death Laws

The state of Washington wrongful death laws outline the specific processes and regulations regarding filing a civil suit for the loss of a family member, including who can file a claim, what damages are available, and what is necessary to receive compensation. Under these laws, a plaintiff can seek compensation for the death of a loved one or family member in much the same way as a personal injury claim, but only if the death was the result of an injury they suffered because of someone else’s negligent or reckless actions. Wrongful death claims are based on the concept that, if the deceased had survived, they would have been able to pursue a personal injury claim. In addition, the only individual who can file a wrongful death claim is the representative of the deceased’s estate. This can be an individual named in the deceased’s will or a legal representative named after their death, such as an attorney.

Who Can File A Claim?

A claim must be filed by the deceased’s representative, but they can only do so on behalf of the victim’s family or loved one. This means that only a select group of individuals can receive compensation in a wrongful death claim depending on whether or not the deceased was married, had children or looked after other dependents.

The individuals who can file a wrongful death claim include the deceased’s:

  • Spouse
  • Domestic partner
  • Children and stepchildren
  • Grandchildren

If the deceased was not married or had children, then the deceased parents or siblings can file a claim.

Damages In A Wrongful Death Case

Like personal injury claims, wrongful death claims can include both economic and non-economic costs, but with some variations. Economic costs for a wrongful death claim can include:

  • Medical expenses related to the injury that led to their death
  • Funeral and burial expenses
  • Lost waves based on life expectancy and potential earnings
  • Lost potential earnings if the victim was a minor

In addition to economic damages, a wrongful death claim can include non-economic damages that account for:

  • Pain and suffering of the deceased before their passing
  • Anxiety and emotional distress suffered by the deceased as a result of their injury
  • Loss of companionship, care and other intangible benefits to the deceased’s loved ones

Advocating For Grieving Families

Pursuing a wrongful death claim is an extremely difficult process on your own. You will have to navigate complex legal procedures, collect evidence of negligence, determine liability, calculate damages, and negotiate with the at-fault party’s representative, such as an insurance company.

The team at Pendergast Law has worked with multiple clients who have suffered catastrophic losses and can provide sympathetic legal representation through the entire process. When we take on a case, our goal is to take on the legal burdens so you can focus on grieving and processing your loss without the added stress of filing a claim. To learn how our Renton personal injury attorneys can represent you in a wrongful death claim, contact us toll-free at 888-539-9211.