Pendergast Law Personal Injury Lawyers

Free Consultations  |  Phones Answered 24/7

Pendergast Law Personal Injury Lawyers

Free Consultations  |  Phones Answered 24/7

Committed to helping you heal while we recover.

How Do Washington’s Auto Insurance Requirements Affect You after a Crash?

On Behalf of | Oct 17, 2012 | Auto Insurance Claims

By Pendergast Law on October 17, 2012

Like many states, Washington requires drivers to carry certain minimum types and amounts of auto insurance. This insurance is intended to cover basic costs like injuries and property damage if you are involved in a Washington auto accident.

Currently, Washington’s required minimums for auto insurance include:

  • $25,000 per person for bodily injury,
  • $50,000 per accident for bodily injury, and
  • $10,000 per accident for property damage.

When you’re involved in a car accident, these amounts help cover the medical bills for anyone injured in the accident and the property damage costs. Property damage might involve a vehicle, or it might involve a piece of property outside a vehicle. For instance, if a car hits your car and pushes it into a mailbox, the coverage for “property damage” might pay for the cost of replacing the mailbox.

Minimum insurance doesn’t cover every possible bill from a Washington car crash, and it doesn’t cover damage to your vehicle from events like bad weather or animals, so it’s wise to consider coverage above and beyond the minimum limits. Drivers who do not want to buy an insurance policy can meet this obligation in other ways, such as through self insurance, a security bond, or a certificate of deposit.

At Hardwick & Pendergast, P.S., we understand that after an accident, all your energy goes to healing from your injuries and getting back to your everyday life – as it should. That’s why our skilled Renton car accident attorneys are here to help you handle tasks from insurance settlements to court cases, so that you can get well. Call us today at 888-539-9211 for a free, confidential consultation.