Committed to helping you heal while we recover.

If You Have Injuries, We Can Help You File A Claim For Damages

Residents in Seattle and all across Washington depend on their vehicles for both their personal and professional lives. Unfortunately, even the safest drivers can have their lives turned upside down due to the actions of reckless drivers. In addition to injuries, you can suffer major property damage that leaves you in debt and without a car.

But there is hope for recovery. At Pendergast Law, our team of Seattle car accident lawyers can help you prove fault and receive compensation that’ll cover not only your medical expenses for your injuries but also the repair costs for your property. To learn more, call 888-539-9211 and receive a free consultation from our legal team.

We want to share the following information about property damage and insurance coverage with you. However, we only take clients who are injured and need serious assistance in addition to having a property damage claim. Remember, you don’t always need a lawyer.

Under Washington law, you are allowed to pursue compensation for the cost of whatever personal property was damaged by another person or organization in a car crash.

What Is Considered Property Damage?

After a vehicle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for the following property damages:

  • Vehicle repairs
  • Replacement cars
  • Rental expenses
  • Personal items damaged in car
  • Other property damaged by a car, such as a home

Having your vehicle and all property involved in the crash inspected and thoroughly appraised will be the only way to know the true cost of the crash. After you do so, you can seek out compensation that covers your complete losses, preventing you from experiencing debt that was not your fault.

Where Can You Find Compensation For Your Damages?

Whether your auto accident was caused by a reckless driver, the manufacturers of a defective vehicle or a government agency that allowed its roads to become dangerous, you can seek compensation from whoever caused your crash. Drivers and these other parties must have insurance coverage that pays for injuries and property damage done to other parties in the event of an auto accident.

If you prove their fault, you can be paid by their insurance policy. However, if they are uninsured or underinsured, you will need to seek compensation from your own insurance policy to cover your injuries and damages.

Requirements In Washington State

In Washington, all drivers are required to have the following insurance coverage.

  • Bodily injury liability: $25,000 per person; up to $50,000 per accident
  • Property damage liability: $10,000 per accident
  • Underinsured motorist bodily injury: $25,000 per person; up to $50,000 per accident
  • Underinsured motorist property damage: $10,000 per accident
  • Basic personal injury protection: $10,000 per accident

Any insurance policy you can buy legally in Washington will have this basic coverage, but you will typically need to pay more if you want collision or comprehensive insurance, which are optional. We’ll go over some of these types of insurance in more detail below.

  • Bodily injury liability: Bodily injury liability is made up of two different numbers: how much can be paid out, per person, to cover medical expenses; and a maximum on that amount, no matter how many people are involved in the accident. For example, Washington’s lowest allowable policy sets $25,000 of coverage per person for bodily injury, with a maximum of $50,000 total, even if ten people were hurt.
  • Property damage liability: Separate from money for medical expenses, property damage coverage has a strict maximum value; for example, $10,000 for all vehicle repairs, no matter how many vehicles were damaged or how badly. If the person who hit you only has the minimum and your vehicle needs more for repair, that’s when your own insurance policies should kick in.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist: Many insurance policies also include coverage in case you’re hit by an uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM). This protects the insured person in an accident when the other driver does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance to pay out for damages. Many states now require UM/UIM as part of a minimum policy.
  • Collision insurance: This insurance will cover the costs of your entire vehicle after a collision with other vehicles, trees and traffic signals, and it does not matter who was to blame. There is typically a deductible that must be paid by the insured, but otherwise, the entire value of the vehicle at the time of collision is covered. Anything other than a collision that damages the vehicle, however, is not covered by this type of policy.
  • Comprehensive insurance: For complete coverage of a vehicle, comprehensive insurance is usually the best – and also the most expensive – solution. With this coverage, insurance will cover the entire cost of the car due to any type of damage that is not a collision. This includes weather, fire, theft and more. A deductible will still need to be paid, but if someone threw rocks at your car, this is the policy that will cover it, if you know where to look.

Help From A Skilled Seattle Car Accident Injury Lawyer

Proving fault and gaining full compensation for your losses from the insurance company is not an easy process. Don’t do it without the help of an experienced attorney who can represent you in all aspects of your claim.

If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries and property damage due to negligent drivers or another party, do not wait to begin protecting your rights and pursuing compensation. Get in touch with the Washington auto accident attorneys at Pendergast Law by calling 888-539-9211. With our help, physical recovery and a brighter future are possible.

Backed by our
No Fee Promise

Learn more

Read Our
Client Reviews

Learn more