Injuries Caused By Dangerous Household Products
Americans use household products every day, but there are many household products that can be extremely dangerous when they are defective. Some are more common than others. Pendergast Law Personal Injury Lawyers holds manufacturers responsible when their products cause you injury in Washington.
Common Dangerous Household Items
Of all the items people use every day, there are six commonly seen in defective household product cases:
- Furnaces: When a furnace has not been manufactured properly, it can leak carbon monoxide, an odorless gas that can be fatal for those who breathe it. Even when a person survives carbon monoxide poisoning, he or she may suffer serious heart problems or brain damage. Furnaces can also leak natural gas, which could result in fire, explosion, or natural gas poisoning.
- Kerosene space heaters: Kerosene space heaters also emit carbon monoxide, resulting in the same types of injuries that can be caused by furnaces. They can also cause fires in certain circumstances.
- Washing machines and dryers: Dryers that run on gas are not as common as they once were, perhaps because there is the same risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. But electric dryers can be dangerous too. If the lint collectors or exhaust ducts are not properly manufactured or installed, they can pose a fire hazard. In addition to these dangers, older washers and dryers run the risk of children getting trapped inside them.
- Stoves and ovens: Gas stoves also present a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning: they too can leak gas. Because they run on natural gas, they can also cause fires or explosions. Electric stoves can also cause fires when they are not manufactured properly.
- Fabrics: Sometimes it’s the fabrics used in a home that can be the most dangerous. Curtains, heating pads, potholders, table cloths, and children’s clothing should never be made of flammable materials.
- Small appliances: Toaster ovens, coffee machines, electric knives and curling irons are just a few of the small appliances that can cause serious injury when designed or manufactured defectively.
The Responsibility Of Manufacturers
Manufacturers have a responsibility to consumers to ensure their products are completely safe to use and won’t pose a risk to anyone. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers take the care they should. They’re in such a rush to make a profit by selling their products.
If you or someone you love has been injured by a defective and dangerous household product, call the experienced Seattle product liability attorneys at Pendergast Law toll-free at 888-539-9211. This is a time for you to recover, not worry about fighting a lawsuit. We’ll hold the manufacturers responsible and fight hard to get you any compensation you may be entitled to.