Legal Help For Victims Of Dangerous Sidewalk Injuries
Falls are among the most common and dangerous accidents in this country. They can occur anywhere, even when you’re just walking down the sidewalk. A slip-and-fall on a sidewalk can be both frightening and painful, and will often result in serious injuries that require medical treatment to deal with.
If you or a loved one has been injured due to a slip-and-fall on a sidewalk, you are not alone. These types of accidents are quite common and often caused not by the clumsiness of the victim but by another person’s negligence. Cracks and uneven sidewalks, obstacles left in the path, ice and snow that are not removed promptly, and poor lighting can all cause slip-and-falls even when pedestrians are careful. Take action right now and call a Seattle slip and fall lawyer at Pendergast Law at 888-539-9211 to discuss what happened and talk about your legal options.
What Are Common Causes Of Fall Accidents On Sidewalks?
Although slip-and-fall accidents can happen in many different ways on a sidewalk, a few causes are more common than others. These include:
- Poor maintenance: Cracks and other damage to sidewalks can be a serious hazard to pedestrians. Damaged sections of sidewalk typically need to be completely removed and replaced, which can be expensive. Property owners might ignore these problems in order to save money, at the cost of the safety and well-being of others.
- Uneven sections: Sidewalks are poured in sections that are several feet in size. This allows the sidewalk to adjust naturally to the area in which it is poured. As plants grow around it, particularly trees with roots that run underneath, these sections can shift and move. This makes uneven areas that create tripping hazards.
- Overgrown plants: Grass and other plants need to be cut and trimmed so that they do not become a danger to pedestrians. Edging plants and grass around sidewalks doesn’t just look good, it also keeps people safe.
- Poor weather: Rain, snow and ice on sidewalks present a lot of dangers to pedestrians. When these combine with other unsafe conditions, like poor maintenance or uneven sections, the dangers multiply. While property owners cannot control the weather, they can respond to weather conditions appropriately and take reasonable steps like shoveling snow and using salt to melt ice in places where people will be walking.
Injuries From A Slip-And-Fall
The most common injuries from slip-and-falls include:
- Bruises, cuts and scrapes
- Broken bones
- Major lacerations
- Neck and shoulder injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Who Is Responsible?
Ultimately, whoever owns or is responsible for maintaining the sidewalk is responsible for making sure it is reasonably safe for others. In some cities or counties, the local government might monitor and order property owners to replace sidewalk sections as they become damaged. It is up to the property owner to respond to these orders and do so in a timely manner. In public areas, the cities and the state are themselves responsible for keeping sidewalks maintained, such as those outside of government buildings.
Injured On A Sidewalk? Call Us Today.
Slipping and falling on the sidewalk can be embarrassing, but there is nothing to be ashamed of. Everybody falls. However, when property owners are negligent in maintaining their land, including the sidewalk, they should be held responsible for the injuries you suffered. Call Pendergast Law, 888-539-9211. We’ll let you know if you have a case.