(888) 228-3860
Se habla español

Call us for a free consultation

Attorneys Discuss Motorcycle Licensing in Washington

Seattle Attorneys Help Answer Your Questions About Motorcycle License Endorsements

In the past decade, millions of people have taken up motorcycling for its many benefits: motorcycles are cheaper and easier to repair, they get more mileage on the gallon, and they're generally more fun to ride. If you're looking to become a motorcyclist yourself, there are certain criteria you will have to meet before you can legally ride a two-wheeler on the road.

Read the information provided below by the Seattle personal injury law firm of Pendergast Law to find out everything you need to know about the motorcycle licensing process in Washington.

Back to Top

Washington Motorcycle Accident Recoveries

  • $225,000 recovery for motorcycle accident.
  • $175,000 recovery for a man who suffered injuries when a car swerved and knocked him off his motorcycle.

Getting an Endorsement

In order to ride a two-wheel motorcycle or scooter that is larger than 50cc and can go faster than 30 mph, you must have an endorsement on your driver license or an instruction permit. There are two ways to get an endorsement:

  1. Pass a motorcycle safety course at an approved school. You should be tested on your knowledge and riding skills prior to course completion. After you pass, bring your course completion card to any driver licensing office within 180 days to receive your endorsement.
  2. Just take the knowledge and riding skills tests. Although it is highly recommended that you take the safety course, you have the option of taking the knowledge and riding skills tests at an approved school right away. After passing the knowledge test, you may apply for an instruction permit which allows you to ride on public roadways without a full-fledged endorsement (under certain restrictions).

Each training school determines their own test fees, which you'll have to pay in addition to the administrative fees charged by the Department of Licensing (DOL).

Back to Top

What's Involved in the Knowledge and Riding Skills Tests?

The knowledge test measures your understanding of the rules of the road and how to safely operate a motorcycle. You may take the test in the course of your safety class or at any qualifying motorcycle training school.

During the riding skills test, you'll be asked to perform the following fundamental maneuvers in a controlled setting: cone weave and normal stop, turn from a stop and u-turn, obstacle swerve, quick stop, and curves. Afterwards, the examiner will evaluate your performance and give you a pass or fail based on how well you completed each maneuver. In order to pass, you must have a thorough understanding of motorcycle controls and equipment, including choke, gear shift, brakes, starter, throttle, ignition, and clutch.

For more information on how to receive an endorsement and a list of approved motorcycle training schools in the state of Washington, visit the DOL motorcycle webpage.

Back to Top

We Protect the Rights of Washington Motorcyclists

Throughout the course of your life as a motorcyclist, you will most likely encounter close brushes with bad drivers or even get into a crash, despite your best efforts at safety. The dedicated Seattle motorcycle accident lawyers at Pendergast Law are here to stand by your side and protect your rights after an accident. Feel free to call us at (425) 228-3860 or (888) 228-3860 for legal assistance.

Back to Top

More Motorcycle Accident Information

Call us for a free consultation

(888) 228-3860
Se habla español

Backed by our
No Fee Promise

Learn More

Client Reviews

Read More

Case Results

Wrongful Death
case details are confidential.

Degloving Injury
from defective power winch.

Car Accident
resulting in neck and head injury.

More results